Barriers and Solutions to Access to Genomic Medicine: Realizing the Benefits of Genomic Medicine for All
May 15, 2019
8:30 am – 2:30 pm
The Newseum, Washington DC
Please check back for an updated agenda and speaker list.
If you are interested in attending or becoming a sponsor, please contact Ashley.Freeman@npaf.org
Discussion topics will include:
- Barriers to and adequate delivery of genomic medicine to underserved populations;
- Patient experiences with genomic medicine;
- Genomic medicine as an opportunity to reduce disparities and improve population health;
- Closing the knowledge gap about genomic medicine for patients and health care providers;
- Dealing with inconsistent and complex insurance policy coverage of screening and treatment.
We will consider innovative ways of raising awareness of the potential for genomic medicine to improve individual and population health and alleviate barriers to access.
We will present the preliminary results of a study for which we partnered with Vence Bonham, JD, Senior Advisor to the Director on Genomics and Health Disparities at NHGRI, on barriers and disparities to access to genomic medicine.
At this Spring’s Consortium, our goals are to bring the patient and provider voices to the table on this important topic and explore the challenges that patients, their caregivers and health providers face in assuring equitable access to genomic medicine.